Hull identification

Malboer

Hi guys

Could someone please accurately identify this hull? 4.2m trimcraft?

How do they handle surf launches and the water in general? I know it will be a wet ride. Will 2 30hp 3 cylinder yamahas be to much power? Will 1 be enough?

Any help please.
Regards
Malboer

Attachments

• IMG-20180219-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20180219-WA0007.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 177

Malboer

Hi Guys

Here is one for the Samsa inspectors.

I need your help regarding bouyancy. If i put inflatable pontoons On a ski vee hull.(as there is plenty out there) Will that count towards the boyancy %.

As at present im just over the 60% requirement and there is no more space for foam under deck. and i want to install a bit heavier motor. and that will bring me under the 60% requirement.

Regards
Malboer

nope, removable buoyancy does not count. I might be wrong, they cannot enforce the pontoons, that is why it will be excluded.

remember, level platform is needed when upside down.

I know the oelofsen skivees, the guys use the pontoons on the side.

more for the spearo's
2x30 should be fine.

don't think 1x 30 will do, rather a 50hp single mount should be good

but it will limit your cat rating

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Howzit, now you are in the game mate, I have a tip top revamped Ski Vee 14' 6" (Proper) with 2 x 30 Yama (3 cyl - Elect Start) - I use to have 2 x 25 Yama (2 cyl) on the Ski Vee, pull start though. Considering, or I assume you will be fishing Moz waters? Well - then you MUST have 2 outboards (not according the law / SAMSA Bull Dust ect - different country, different laws anyway for starters) - Just meaning - you don't have proper rescue services in Moz, should things go tits up....

So you wanting to put a 1 x 50 on....hmmffff, yes it's an idea, but what do you do when the motor bugs out? (In Moz) I use to operate Inhaca way back with the 2 x 25s...but upgraded to Elect starts.... still have the 2 x 25s...old, but was in tip top back then.

Of course it is a wet ride (LOL....use swiming goggles) - The plus point about these small craft will be, should a wave break over you, the water just runs off, cause of the lowish gunwhales (ensure all electronics are well secured and insulated) - Can give you lots of tips, In the Congo at the moment, so perhaps you should come check my set up out some time, and you will get an idea. Another tip is to re-enforce your hull - if you gonna surf launch. I do not have those extra side buoyancy aids / pontoons, but have seen them. My Ski Vee is rated for 4 PAX, however I have never fished more than two. I will be getting back into fishing later in the year, due to being too busy at my place. Keep in touch

Malboer

Thanks i totally agree and safety is my main concern. As i am a keen kayak fisherman. The ski vee will be mostly used when the wife and kids want to go fishing in good wheather. Rest i will use paddle power. 2x30hp electric starts it will be then. But still need to beef up the internal boyancy. How much space will 100lt sondor foam noodles take up? And where is best to get them from? Let me know when you got some time Serra we got a fishing trip to plan.

Regard
Malboer

Serra Moz

Sealiner
LOL....correct, I had mine foam filled in Moz, We actually checked it, pretty good. Costly however, where is the boat now? Do you have the 30s already? Elect start a perfect choice....done with pull starts! Where will you launch? You gonna keep her in Moz????

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Malboer wrote:
Thanks i totally agree and safety is my main concern. As i am a keen kayak fisherman. The ski vee will be mostly used when the wife and kids want to go fishing in good wheather. Rest i will use paddle power. 2x30hp electric starts it will be then. But still need to beef up the internal boyancy. How much space will 100lt sondor foam noodles take up? And where is best to get them from? Let me know when you got some time Serra we got a fishing trip to plan.

Regard
Malboer

I think I gave you my number before, I have been busy since 2013/2014 on my quinta - building, small scale farming project, so finally +/- May/ June, I will be free again....LOL, Been a long haul bro, here's my Moz number: 82 268 2810, I should be back 7th of April for a month, so give me a shout. I know a guy at "Clube Naval" that's good with fixing boats, fibre glass master.

Malboer

Hull still in Durban. Yep got 2 great 30hp here at home. She will be staying in moz. As a expat ha ha ha.

Attachments

• IMG-20180219-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20180219-WA0022.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 110

Malboer

Hull still in Durban. Yep got 2 great 30hp here at home. She will be staying in moz. As a expat ha ha ha.

Attachments

• IMG-20180219-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20180219-WA0022.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 110

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Where are you gonna launch? I belong to the Macaneta Ski Boat, they have a launch in the Incomati River, going out the mouth, so no stress, also no stress on boat etc. Have used the launch yet, due to work at my place, but a good bunch of people.

Serra Moz

Sealiner
When are you going down to Durban? I should be flying down from Maputo on the 11th or 13th next month, depending how things here in the Congo goes, do you drive the new Ponta road to Durban?

Malboer

I will mostly launch at milli bangalala as it is my favourite spot.

Will do the Durban thing next weekend. From my place i just go throug Swaziland exit golela and staight onto the N2. The ponta road is great now cut my travel time to milli in half.
Regards
Malboer

Serra Moz

Sealiner
One thing to keep in mind, when you rip her open to fill her buoyancy - have a good good look at the transom, use a flat screwdriver and do a "steek proef" here and there, as it might look good from the outside, but yet inside it might be rotten. I know of a friend that did his whole boat, almost like a Ski Vee, only to find when the job was just about completed, that the transom needs replacement. Although cost in Moz, you can source most of the stuff at Yamaha.

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Malboer wrote:
I will mostly launch at milli bangalala as it is my favourite spot.

Will do the Durban thing next weekend. From my place i just go throug Swaziland exit golela and staight onto the N2. The ponta road is great now cut my travel time to milli in half.
Regards
Malboer

ah, OK, you are at Boane, I do Goba as well, done for like 20yrs, so easy anyway. Like I said, I have just been tied up with work and then of course when I get home, more home work - so yes, looking forward to be "free again" You guys to any freshwater fishing there, like 15 yrs I ago, I fished Tilipia there.

Malboer

Hull deck and transom is sound. A good friend of mine checked it. Boyancy is done with sondor foam noodles recently and is certified. My problem or worry is my motors is a bit hevier than the one they had on there. Extra battery and fuel weight and it will not make the 60% requirment. I will have to sqeeze at least 50 lt more flotation in there.

Sometimes fish pequinos dam but its so quick to go Swaziland to jozini for some tigers

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Malboer wrote:
Hull deck and transom is sound. A good friend of mine checked it. Boyancy is done with sondor foam noodles recently and is certified. My problem or worry is my motors is a bit hevier than the one they had on there. Extra battery and fuel weight and it will not make the 60% requirment. I will have to sqeeze at least 50 lt more flotation in there.

Sometimes fish pequinos dam but its so quick to go Swaziland to jozini for some tigers

OK, but what motors did the boat have before (size / weight)???? As I said I upgrade from 25s to 30s, as per the stats they are the same weight, different models / year etc. I foamed my whole hull 100%, re-enforced the whole tootie, What batteries are you looking at? I have got "Deltecs" x 2, I think it's 105s? I have carried 6 x cans, 2 okes, no probs, but I think my boat is a little bigger? I have done Maguga Dam in Swazi.

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Also ensure you have nice scuppers (good size) so the water from chop / waves / swells can drain quickly, referring to Maputo Bay's NE choppy seas sometimes

Serra Moz

Sealiner
A common thing to watch out for with these smallish boats like ours is when you have a following sea / stern swell... "broaching" you will flip the boat, or well "roll" the boat. I always watch my "6" or have my buddy watch it, ensure you have enough wooma left in your engines to outrun a following swell, do not turn to the side!!! It's a common problem with small ski boats, check google / youtube clips.

Malboer

Serra Moz wrote:
Malboer wrote:

OK, but what motors did the boat have before (size / weight)???? As I said I upgrade from 25s to 30s, as per the stats they are the same weight, different models / year etc. I foamed my whole hull 100%, re-enforced the whole tootie, What batteries are you looking at? I have got "Deltecs" x 2, I think it's 105s? I have carried 6 x cans, 2 okes, no probs, but I think my boat is a little bigger? I have done Maguga Dam in Swazi.
The hull is surely big and strong enough for the extra weight. It was a spearo boat and when he did the bouyancy he did only enough to pass the boat in the configeration he had it in. Extra motorweight fueltank and battery i will put about 50 kg more onto the boat. He had a single 40hp autolube yamaha on there.