The Aftco Roller troller System Pics

Mr kite flyer

[align=center]

[align=center]I hope these help those guys that want to try this way, nothing like a picture to put things in perspective.
hawaii-fishing-rig2.jpg
[/align]
hawaii-fishing-rig.jpg

[/align]

[align=center] [/align]

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Right .

Kitefisher asked me to put out a special report but i thought with these pics above , will make a nice addition for the Newbies on what de bogger gaan aan .

So saturday i snuck away to st francis , which is roughly 330km from home , for a morning's fishing (the wife thought I Was in Sedgefield -68 km away...) with Enigma.

I'de heard he'd done the whole Kite fishig story at Mazeppa , this would be an ideal chance to see it done first-hand  , as I'm sure roughly everyone Including guys like tuna , wanna know how de heck this is done .

The Method used above , and the Method we Used with this clip I am putting up , are roughly the Same , and can even be ugh , combined , if you will (without me stepping on MR Kite toes or Kitefishers ) , and a combination of either trolling one's bait out underneath the kite once you've let it out to the desired , can be used , or , alternatively , one's bait can be Dragged over the top of the water by the lite , and once the Desired distance has been reached-a hard Yank releases the Bait from This clip , and It's bomb's away ...........

This Weekend , - we did No. 2

The Kite is Let out , and about 60 Meters from the Kite , a Swivel or a ring is placed onto the line .This is where you now attach the release clip . The swivel , or stopper , prevents the release clip from coming down (acts as a stopper ) . THe  Release clip has a simple sliding mechanism to play with the grip on the release clip .Heavier bait and sinkers wil require the clip more closed , while a lighter bait and sinker will use a lower number (numbered like 2- 6-6 being almost impossible to open .

a Throw bait rig set up is used , with a nice large 3 -way swivel , for example , and the eye going to your main-line Reel is clipped into the release clip .

The kite is already flying 60 Meters out and up , so you simply clip the Throw bait swivel on , and Let the Kite line out slowly , with your Bestest Mate  doing the same on your trini 50 for de shark . ..

Attachments

• 06032010236.jpg
    06032010236.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,108

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
de Numbers , on the side of the clip , to Determine how Hard she holds onto the baited line swivel ....

Attachments

• 08032010264.jpg
    08032010264.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 991

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
ok .

KITE TO MY LEFT- Thumb side .

CLip this Boytjie onto the KITE LINE .The SWIVEL to stop it coming down is on it's RIGHT .(not shown )

The 3 way you see there , is imaginery Line to Reel , Sinker(6-8Oz) , and obviously the Main course.BAITED Steel trace and hooks . SImple .

You Let the 2 go out simultaneously , and for now there is No Tension on  the Release clip , it's simply hanging on for the ride until the required distance is reached .

Then Enigma (my expensive gillie for today ) will say ok tighten up on the rod , and as he lets More line out on the KITE LINE - this shifts thetension to the rod and More importantly the clip . The Kite will want to "fly away" basically , from the bait , and Because you building up Tension on that lil Brass Goodie there on the Clip , sooner Or Later that sucker's gonna Pop Open . Beforeit does this though , you Bait Will Start to climb out the Water , roughly , oh , i Dunno- round 20meters , and suddenly the Clip will open(depending on how well you guess) and the Bait will come falling into the Ocean.

your'e DONE !!!!!!!

If It is a clean Release - the Kite will Immediately start climbing , as the weight of the Bait and sinker is No Longer there . Then you Know you've had a clena release .if NOT - well- then your buddy yanked too hard on the rod , and the sinker flew straight over the KITE line - and you Not Friends anymore , cuz it all has to come STRAIGHT BACK so you can Re-do It all over again !!

Attachments

• 08032010265.jpg
    08032010265.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 986

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
ok , Now On this Pic it Looks like chaos .

but clearly can be Seen 3 Lines , basically , and then bait hanging into the Water . 

Someone Colour these in for Me - I'm useless at it .The top two is  the Kite Line , the lowest one closest to the Water, is the Rod's . 4th is obviously  short , and is Baited and sinkered .

Here the Bait is Now hooked up , and Hitching a ride into deep-ville .

Nice , Ne' ??

:fishn:wfish

Attachments

• 06032010241.jpg
    06032010241.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 986

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
All that is left , is to Wait while the Kite goes out , and then you call on the Americans to give the rod Line a good Yank . ...:sf:::

Sorry , that one just slipped in there...

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Ok - Now for the higher Grades .

FIRST METHOD STOPS HERE .

Second Method would be to rig a Nice chrome RING through the Release clip (Kitefisher moenie My skiet Nie ..)

You then let the kite out , until you Reach the swivel (it's ROLLED up sommer on the kite reel Man , much easier ) and when it shows it's face- you hook the Chrome ring into the Brass Release clip . Put it on about 4.5 or 5.5 .Why ?

Because NOw we are going to Maak as the Photo's up above show you . Roller Troller Method .

This Means that you HOLD ONTO YOUR BAIT , but still let out the line on the Kite AND ROD , to the Required distance .

the rod line DOUbles BACK to you- if you out 300 Meters on the Kite , then you 600meters out on the ROD .

got it ? good . I explain like Malema did to Deborah Patta sometimes ...

Ok .

walk up to the water line once the Kite is so far away you can't read anymore who Made it , and then drop your bait into the water , where it wont get snagged on Mussels Etc .

Dont let the Kite out anymore , and start reeling in 300 Meters of the 600 Meters you Let out on the rod .  That will Pull your Line through that chrome RING i Mentioned , and start dragging your Bait Back to a spot under the Release clip (remember-the clip is on the Kite Line , and with no WEIGHT on it -kit'es gonna be flying high now ), which is roughly 300 Meters , say , from you . Got it ?

you THEN  , once you reach the clip , give slack , and let the Bait sink to the bottom .

you're DONE !!!

The Kite's flying high , Beer's in the hand , and the bait is in the Water .Whoohoo !!!

Reason i will use this method , over a Coke bottle blah blah blah , is for one Reason - the fish we're targeting Wil literally Obliterate the Kite if Things going sideways and you get an on !! so , if something goes down , and Mr Shark takes Mr bait - Once he's on and vas pappa , I'll Call on the American again to give it a good YANK , and the chrome Ring will pull free out the release clip , seperating kite from Any danger of being dragged under By the big Boss .!!

One can also "cheat" a bit , and by using a Pair of Binocs(!!) you can simply Reel in and give your MAckie a Squizz as it Dangles 4 Meters out the water !!

Between the 2 I have only done Numero Uno , and will continue to do this , as the Kite is out of the Way , and it's fast man , with the wind blowing properly there is Little time to Waste . No Waiting for the sinker to Set , Niks .  fly , clip , catch .

Kla .

SO , i'm hoping that with the primitive Malema style explanaition and pics , some of you May have picked up how lekka this can be .

And to all those boys Casting 170m - ek Pee Behoorlik op jou PB Rekord Pappa- try THIS for size !!

It allows you to pretty Much Place a bait any damn Place you Like .

i Would NOT recommend using this method of fishing , off , say , Robberg Punt . TUna and co .

you at a deep water spot already , so No Need to do this in My honest opinion .

Where this shines , man , where this Shines , is standing at hartenbos Beach , the wind behind you , waves pumping and you cant walk Out too far , and the guy with the Aquacat thingie rocks up , well, now you got something for him now as well .....

And at Least your Kite's coming Back !!! - i Laughed so hard when i Asked Kitefisher why he didn't havea dinglething. He tells Me it's on it's way to australia- so i say oh - did a guy in Oz BUY it from you ??- no he says - i Let it out somewhere at Umhlanga rocks - and it Just NEVER came BACK !!!!!! Priceless !!

Psy

Sealiner
shotalott!!  ::SIm glad you got the expert instruction from Enigma, and am looking forward to flying over the branders in the Hartenbos area!

(by the way, what we gonna target there) ^^.. :::S :fbash enough of that...for now!!

yes and no! I will not outrule flying from Robberg or Herolds or Fransmans...in for a penny in for a pound China! Did you fly with a float Boet? as in the sketches above?  I think this will be the preferred method or you gonna hook old vasco da gamas wreck someplace on the bottom!!  

(:)kaykak psy ....paddling home to fly kites on the beech!))

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
No , No float , but Enigma dID tell me a Story of using a Cheap Bait chiller 6 pack-thingie Once ,to float his bait out to sea , at Skurwebankies .

When said dude came in low and fast , he Says the subsequent explosion succeeding the full-speed head-on Attack was spectacular !!polystyrene everywhere !!

usually simon , the place you'll be using the Kite will be into a Sand bank scenario , and i Know that your butt's just itching to float out a bait , in which case then i'd use my second set-up . Keeps the bait in one spot , and should Meneer be too Beeek , well - rip the bugger off the clip or your kite's going Bye-bye !!

kitefisher

Sealiner
Fantastic report there Def,::S,wish I was there,seriously would have enjoyed it big time,You know a long time ago a Sargeant-Major with a wooden leg and a golliwog for a moustache said to me ""SAPPERS,,,,,,,,,, IMPROVISE"' ,it is not typed in in caps lock mahala,the man had a voice,as they all do.

The same goes for kitefishers,you just have to adapt to the situation,absolutely nothing wrong with all the methods you guys used,part of the fun is to explore new ways or even re-inventing the wheel while doing so.Nothing is cast in stone.

Just a word of advice,that sinker line that flips over the mainline can be eliminated by lengthening it to about 2-3 meters ,that way it wont be able to swing all the way over,and you may want to opt for a very light sinker line,for the possibility of hooking bottom or kelp,20lbs should snap fairly easy if you do get snagged.

I prefer the hanging the washing out method on some occassions,but in KZN ,on a morning-stint the wind could die on you early,so if you then had your baits dropped out already it wont have any ill effect.

p.s in days gone by guys used a porcelain-ring to hang their lines through,the ring was tied to the kite-line with ,say 15lbs mono,and this would act like a weak link upon pick-up,if it didnt pop,then your best friend becomes you bestest bud again all of a sudden,because he has to manipulate the kite back in ,whilst your'e fighting the fish. 

Kudos to Enigma for showing the Sealine spirit yet again ,as he has so often in the past.

kitefisher

Sealiner
Def, I'm gonna give your pic a go and release the artist in me,lol

Red = Kiteline from kite-rod and going to kite

Blue=Fishingline from fishing-rod to clip,holding 3-way swivel and then to bait.

Yellow= Sinker ,to be lengthened to prevent flipping over line when jerking to release.

Orange= food for Big Nunu's,bait can be dead or alive.

Def, My eyesight is not too true anymore, but thats what I see in your pic.Please advise if misinterpreting, and I will change accordingly.

Attachments

• 06032010241.jpg
    06032010241.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 955

Glenn

Sealiner
@ Mr Kite Flyer

Thank's for The Aftco Roller troller System Pics.. It make's it much better to understand when I didn't see it before. =)

Sparrow

Finally, I'm getting the idea. My grandpa always told me how he kite-fished, but I could never picture it. Thanks Def...mana for you.

Ryan_st

I notice in the cartoon pic that you need to let double the amount of line out to your kite and then reel your bait all the way out...  am i correct??

if so, then instead of running all that extra line out could you just adjust the drag on the reel attached to your bait so that it is enough to lift your bait out of the water stopping when the swivel hits the release clip... but light enough so the release clip doesnt open and "fly" your bait out with the kite to the desired distance, engage freespool and drop your bait down.... without all the effort of winding through the water ???