|View single post by kaspaas|
|Posted: Tue Nov 19th, 2019 10:02 am||
|SSEC:WC Annual All Night Kob Derby 2019: 2-3 November 2019
The Sealine Social Edibles Club: Western Cape (SSEC:WC) Annual All-night Kob Derby took place on 2-3 November 2019 in False Bay, Western Cape. The fact that the event had to compete with the Springboks’ earlier excellent victory over England and that strict catch and release rules applied during the competition, probably both impacted on the number of participants that took part in this year’s event.
Many recreational anglers have yet to buy into the concept of releasing their catches to ensure the survival of already scarce fish species for future generations. The general consensus among the participants after the “weigh-in” and prize giving event, however was that they supported the notion and that they will definitely take part in next year’s event again.
Angling conditions were excellent. The sea had real “Kob water” colour and the initial fresh wind dropped to such an extent that some anglers were complaining about the mosquitoes bothering them.
Although the braai and potjie fires burning along the beach were less than the previous year, there was nothing wrong with the prevailing spirit and enthusiasm among the anglers.
Several Kob were caught during the night as well as large numbers of Sea Barbel and Cow Sharks, much to the frustration of participants.
Prizes were awarded to nine anglers. This year we also had an award for the most successful team. The following anglers received awards (indicated fish weights are estimates based on conversions from actual measured lengths):
1. First place: Dane Marks (10,49 kg)- R7 000 plus medal and 7 Stars hamper
2. Second place: Jason Marks (8,47 kg) – R4 000 plus medal and 7 Stars hamper
3. Third place: Bryan Woodward (5,29 kg) – R2 000 plus medal and 7 Stars hamper
4. Fourth place: Riyad Mohidin (5,21 kg)- Coral Wetsuits voucher (R1 000) and 7 Stars hamper
5. Fifth place: Roman Munro (3,55 kg) – Coral Wetsuits voucher (R750) and 7 Stars hamper
6. Sixth place: J P Marais (1,54 kg) – Coral Wetsuits voucher (R500) and 7 Stars hamper
7. Seventh place: Riyad Mohidin (0,99 kg) – Coral Wetsuits voucher (R500) and 7 Stars hamper
8. Eighth place: Nieyaaz Hamza (0,76 kg) – Gift vouchers and 7 Stars hamper
9. Ninth place: Jacques F (Surname not provided) (0,47 kg) – Gift vouchers and 7 Stars hamper
Team Trophy: KOBFATHER 2 (Combined weight 25,16 kg) – R2 000 sponsored by Glassman Epping, Exclusive Sports Clothing by Hooked Born and 7 Stars hampers
Members: Jason Marks, Dane Marks and Riyad Mohidin
One Kob that wasn’t released alive, unfortunately had to be disqualified in terms of the competition’s strict catch and release rules.
A special thanks must go to all our sponsors, without who’s support this event would not have been so successful. They are:
Agio Baits and Sinkers (Event peak caps)
7 Stars for the beverages
Mag-it magnetic reel brake systems
Lastly, and definitely not least, a word of thanks to all the anglers that participated in this year’s event. The event is about you and cannot exist without your continued and loyal support. The general consensus at the prize giving was that we are on the right track with our format of catch and release and that those who attended this event will definitely be back next year. Hopefully by then, more anglers would have bought into this concept and take part in greater numbers.