SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community Home 
Home Recent Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register


 Moderated by: Trophy, Emperor Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Getting Sealine back on track  Rating:  Rating
 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 6th, 2020 08:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
willem wikkel spies
Moderator


Joined: Tue Apr 29th, 2008
Location: Heidelberg, South Africa
Posts: 4097
Equipment: ekt geleer net die beste werk.............................
Best Catch: eish waar begin ek?
Favorite Fishing Spot: noord van die tugela is goed genoeg
Boat: Sea Cat 565 75hp yammies
Club: nooooit nie
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Guys,

It is a common aspect that Sealine has lost some interest due to social media etc.

but the info on facebook is also lost on facebook.

the only place where info will remain is a public forum like Sealine.

Sealine is free for us all and we will need to do something to keep it this way.

one cannot just alter the site "im a novice" but Sealine is a working platform, so why change things when it is working.

I know that this is sometimes frustrating for members, but lets look past it and move on.

to sit back and cry about guys leaving will not take Sealine forward.

due to this, all your assistance is needed.
it is up to us all.

we will be looking for new clients advertise.
the site does have running costs and Jerryl pays it all without asking for money from us.

and we are looking to all of you, to bring life back to Sealine!!!!

so can we please, leave the negative aspects and rather concentrate on the positives that Sealine brings to us.

the more we bring, the more we can gain from it.


so please join us in taking Sealine to new highs!!!

we as admin thank you all, for all the contributions and posts over the years.


Blikkies, we need some more stories, jy mag maar stories skryf.
Dr Halibut, we need some aspects regarding conservation, where do we stand?

Big Ben, kom jong laat jou klokke lui.
Pylstert, ons het jou ook nog nodig!!!

Ben R, welkom by die klub!!!

there is so many members to mention, so pardon me for not placing your name.

so lets take hands and move on!!!!

suggestions is also welcome :)

thanks to all
Pottie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Feb 6th, 2020 09:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
rbacht
Sealiner


Joined: Fri Aug 17th, 2012
Location: Vredekloof, South Africa
Posts: 645
Equipment: Fin-Nor 14'/Tor30; BM Lite/Tor14; Shim Vengance 8ft/Penn Sargus 4000
Best Catch: 13.6kg Carp; 3.2kg Gallie
Favorite Fishing Spot: Waar die vis byt
Boat: ../\./'''''''''''''''\/\...
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I second that !

Blikkies bring n storie man!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Feb 6th, 2020 09:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
necrovis
Member


Joined: Tue Mar 24th, 2009
Location: Langebaan, South Africa
Posts: 247
Equipment: Whatever suits the moment :-)
Best Catch: fresh water-15 kg common carp, saltwater-10 kg yellowtail, 46kg Cow
Favorite Fishing Spot: Langebaan, St Helena, Dassen
Boat: Yamaha waverunner VX 1100
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Agreed

This forum has a wealth of information, and it can keep growing.

We can keep our negative comments, if the subject don't interest you, scroll along. If there are novices, we help again, and again if we have to.

I'm hardly an active poster, but there are hardly days that go by that I don't visit sealine. N mens leer (steel) baie met die oe.

One major difference between this forum and social media IMHO, is we more or less like minded people whereas SM is an open platform. Most members here made a conscious effort to create an account where SM you just like or join and it's a free for all. And finding info here is by far easier than SM.

Anyway, still enjoy sealine, still enjoy reading stories, seeing PB's, and definitely have not stopped learning. Sealine is still my no 1 place to start looking for info.

Stywe lyne ::tight:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Feb 6th, 2020 10:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Pylstert
Sealiner
 

Joined: Fri May 4th, 2007
Location: Wagina Island
Posts: 1994
Equipment: 2nd Hand Rods, Torium reels
Best Catch: Medium Bronzie
Favorite Fishing Spot: SA coast
Boat: no
Club: N/A
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Good luck, julle sal maar eers weer van die nuwe spammer ontslae moet raak ::tight:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Feb 6th, 2020 12:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
BigBen
Sealiner


Joined: Mon Jun 8th, 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 8034
Equipment: Shimano Tor 20 Tor 16,Rovex Boss 4000,12ft Loomis shockwave, 13.6ft ...
Best Catch: 18.8kg Kob
Favorite Fishing Spot: Dis nou 'n Geheim
Boat: NONE Boating
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Pylstert wrote:
Good luck, julle sal maar eers weer van die nuwe spammer ontslae moet raak ::tight:

Gonna take more than luck...now its maamazama...

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Feb 6th, 2020 12:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ben REINERS
Moderator


Joined: Tue Feb 16th, 2010
Location: MELMOTH - KZN, South Africa
Posts: 1679
Equipment: All sorts............
Best Catch: Giant Kingfish 35 Kg - 1996.09 @ Kosi Mouth ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Mostly KZN North Coast
Boat: Not yet !!
Club: Nope
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Thks very much Pottie & Admin for the trust in me.
I am an avid user of SL, & will continue to be a staunch supporter for as long its up & running.
I'll most defn do my utmost best within ADMIN rules to keep scammers & spammers out.
We can only succeed together as a team & revive SEALINE.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Feb 6th, 2020 01:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jonathanw
Member


Joined: Mon Jul 26th, 2010
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 153
Equipment: Shimano, Diawa, okuma, Sensation
Best Catch: 10.18 kg common carp ,3.2 kg largemouth bass, 5 kg ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: vaal dam , Aqua via
Boat: .....canoe, bait boat
Club: na
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Sealine has taught me many things over the years, it is my fishing bible

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Feb 6th, 2020 10:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4666
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
One that really pisses me off BIG TIME....

Okes posting goodies for sale:

1) No pics of item

2) With on a cell number or w/app

3) Some of these "postees"... they have a total of less then 10 posts....???

So, I say this, if someone post something for sale, it must include a well defined run down on item/s for sale - wth pics - with the option of PM / email.... forget this w/app crap, as that's the main reason (including FB).... why forums went tits up....

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 01:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Bloks
Member


Joined: Fri Aug 27th, 2010
Location: Caledon, South Africa
Posts: 368
Equipment: So lig moontlik
Best Catch: 40cm Galjoen,61cm Steenbras
Favorite Fishing Spot: Danabaai, Kleinbrak, Uilenkraals, Pearly Beach
Boat: No
Club: Work does not allow, otherwise i would
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Hi gents

I do not post very often here on sealine, I ask questions and do research. I am not the greatest fisherman and cannot share to many tips or stories as I blank 8 out 10 times. But when I can I contribute. I just love this site. Learnt so much over the years. I miss the tactical galjoen, Steenbras and Kob discussions.
We hardly see any reports anymore, I think the main reason for this is that the guys start picking fights about fish that weren't released ext.
I smaak this site and will always be active.

maybe we should organise social comps every three months or so, get some excitement back in here.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 04:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Houtarm
Moderator


Joined: Sat Mar 7th, 2015
Location: Swellendam, South Africa
Posts: 595
Equipment: Okuma Metaloid 13.6, Daiwa BG6500, Shimano Sedona 2500, Shimano 15/30
Best Catch: Yellowfin Tuna 12kg, Leervis 84cm, Galjoen 56cm, Cracker 72cm, Kob ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Infanta, Blombos, Witsand, Buffelsbaai
Boat: None
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Sealine is like fishing. Most days are quiet, some days there's action, but I keep coming back every day to see whats happening. Still prefer it over the hordes on social media repeating the same things over and over.
Firsts posts of Sealine "going down" or loosing interest has appeared pre 2010, and it's still going.
Thanks to all the regular contributers!

_seal1_

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 05:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
DeanoGrant
Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 11th, 2019
Location: Sedgefield, South Africa
Posts: 25
Equipment: Light Tack Estuary-Sea-Dam
Best Catch: 18.7kg Kob
Favorite Fishing Spot: Garden Route
Boat: Deap Sea Fishing
Club: no
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Good Morning everyone, even though i may be relatively new to Sealine, i regularly go back to some of the early posts and see how many people responded to posts and i get so much info from this. may i suggest monthly get togethers in all areas. and bragging rights to certain catches after that get together. the reason i say this is we all go and fish sometimes alone....WHY!...when we have fishing friends on this site...why not get together and all have a throw...share advice and tips...and have a laugh and a good time. We could even have friendly comps between certain areas...just for bragging rights...why not...

This is just my advice...oh and i am going to fishing on Swartvlei beach in Sedgefield just below the parking lot from 4am tomorrow morning...please join me!!!!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 05:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Tool_Fan
Member
 

Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Durbanville, South Africa
Posts: 55
Equipment: Blue Marlin G3
Best Catch: None yet
Favorite Fishing Spot: Bettys Bay
Boat: None
Club: None
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I love this site. Its truly a world of information, stories of guys PBs and experiences over the years. Us newer guys have a lot to be grateful for the earlier guys knowledge and help.

In terms of the negative, unhelpful comments etc, that keeps coming up, that unfortunately is part and parcel of being on the internet and hosting a social media platform. Having said that, we are all adults here and its up to us to not take it personally and / or feed the "troll".
You not doing yourself, the rest of Sealine any favours. Just take it to a moderator and move on.

In terms of Sealine, and this thread been posted, I would like to put the ball back in your court and ask, have you worked out a goal of where you would like to take the site?
If you think leaving it in the hands of the community to self rejuvenate, I think its fair to say, your expectations will not be met.

But I will share my thoughts. Personally I think the way forward is create a Sealine Facebook, Instagram, twitter profile to try and incorporate those social media platforms *back* into this site. And vice versa. In this day and age, everything is interconnected.
Here in Cape Town we have "Fishing in numbers" whatsapp group. What could help is organised "get togethers" etc.

What would be nice is if the site and community can go back, and be like the site was. Where the guys shared their experiences, knowledge, fishing spots, traces, their catches (or the one that got away). Those guys still *holding* to their catches, spots, etc are not helping and sharing. Really have no purpose being here.

This is just something I threw together before I started work, if there is any typos etc, Ill clean up later.

Last edited on Fri Feb 7th, 2020 05:27 am by Tool_Fan

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 07:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
SkottelGoed Spons
Member


Joined: Mon Jan 6th, 2020
Location: Langebaan, West Coast, South Africa
Posts: 47
Equipment: 2 x Penn Jigmaster 500, Okuma MX 50, Rod unknown
Best Catch: 72cm 4,91kg Shad 11/01/2020
Favorite Fishing Spot: Langebaan, Saldanha, Velddrif & Stilbaai
Boat: Too poor
Club: na
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Hi Willem Wkkel spies. This suggestion was made a few years back I see, but won't it be possible to add this site to Tapatalk. I feel you will have more active members if this forum was on tapatalk. Just some thought.

Do agree I want to see more reports and so on. I'm new here and quite like this forum. Lots to learn from!

Stywelyne en mag die site meer aktief raak.styw::

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 07:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Pylstert
Sealiner
 

Joined: Fri May 4th, 2007
Location: Wagina Island
Posts: 1994
Equipment: 2nd Hand Rods, Torium reels
Best Catch: Medium Bronzie
Favorite Fishing Spot: SA coast
Boat: no
Club: N/A
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I agree, adding the site to Tapatalk will make a huge difference. There are still many active forums regardless of Lamebook etc.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 08:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Houtarm
Moderator


Joined: Sat Mar 7th, 2015
Location: Swellendam, South Africa
Posts: 595
Equipment: Okuma Metaloid 13.6, Daiwa BG6500, Shimano Sedona 2500, Shimano 15/30
Best Catch: Yellowfin Tuna 12kg, Leervis 84cm, Galjoen 56cm, Cracker 72cm, Kob ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Infanta, Blombos, Witsand, Buffelsbaai
Boat: None
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Yes I also wanted to mention Tapatalk compatibility. Really think making mobile access to Sealine easier, will help improve activity on the forum.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 09:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Poenskop26
Member


Joined: Fri Oct 11th, 2019
Location: Centurion, South Africa
Posts: 52
Equipment: Anything Affordable.
Best Catch: 26 kg Poenskop/Musselcracker.
Favorite Fishing Spot: On a boat anywhere along our coast
Boat: Tug 20 with a 15hp Parsun.
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I joined this forum a few months ago. The main reason why I joined the forum was to gain insight and knowledge on the art of angling. I want to learn everything I can from the old SALTERS, even at my age of 53. Sofar things for me are going well, as I am on the site every day since I joined. I research old posts absorbing the info and learning from it.

It is just painful when you post and you get 2 responses or even ziltch on your post and the forum has a membership of > 43000 members. Crazy.

I believe there are no stupid questions, there are only stupid answers.

Sealine for me ROCK's.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 09:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Ben REINERS
Moderator


Joined: Tue Feb 16th, 2010
Location: MELMOTH - KZN, South Africa
Posts: 1679
Equipment: All sorts............
Best Catch: Giant Kingfish 35 Kg - 1996.09 @ Kosi Mouth ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Mostly KZN North Coast
Boat: Not yet !!
Club: Nope
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Poenskop26 wrote:
I joined this forum a few months ago. The main reason why I joined the forum was to gain insight and knowledge on the art of angling. I want to learn everything I can from the old SALTERS, even at my age of 53. Sofar things for me are going well, as I am on the site every day since I joined. I research old posts absorbing the info and learning from it.

It is just painful when you post and you get 2 responses or even ziltch on your post and the forum has a membership of > 43000 members. Crazy.

I believe there are no stupid questions, there are only stupid answers.

Sealine for me ROCK's.


I can't agree more on yr comment.
When I joined SL, it was a "hot forum" where it was literally boiling with various discussion topics every day.
Many & most of the older members, including some Admin/Mods left, & or are just not active anymore.

As Pottie (Willem Wikkel Spies) & myself discussed the other day, as an example, many topics has been discussed over the years to the point that if you dont know how to make up a shad trace & catch a shad then you will never know.
Yes, there are million other new, updated topics, tricks, new gadgets, lures, experiences, tackle, catches to be discussed & shared with other members, & where even the most experienced angler learns new tricks or pick up a few pointers.

As you have said, there is nothing more frustrating posting a post & you receive 1 or 2 responses while there is a Bucket full of knowledgeable, experienced members with loads of info & the member is left literally in the dark.

Lets continue to be positive about SL & its future, continue to do what we love best & support SL at al levels.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 11:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Pylstert
Sealiner
 

Joined: Fri May 4th, 2007
Location: Wagina Island
Posts: 1994
Equipment: 2nd Hand Rods, Torium reels
Best Catch: Medium Bronzie
Favorite Fishing Spot: SA coast
Boat: no
Club: N/A
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Ben REINERS wrote: Poenskop26 wrote:
I joined this forum a few months ago. The main reason why I joined the forum was to gain insight and knowledge on the art of angling. I want to learn everything I can from the old SALTERS, even at my age of 53. Sofar things for me are going well, as I am on the site every day since I joined. I research old posts absorbing the info and learning from it.

It is just painful when you post and you get 2 responses or even ziltch on your post and the forum has a membership of > 43000 members. Crazy.

I believe there are no stupid questions, there are only stupid answers.

Sealine for me ROCK's.


I can't agree more on yr comment.
When I joined SL, it was a "hot forum" where it was literally boiling with various discussion topics every day.
Many & most of the older members, including some Admin/Mods left, & or are just not active anymore.

As Pottie (Willem Wikkel Spies) & myself discussed the other day, as an example, many topics has been discussed over the years to the point that if you dont know how to make up a shad trace & catch a shad then you will never know.
Yes, there are million other new, updated topics, tricks, new gadgets, lures, experiences, tackle, catches to be discussed & shared with other members, & where even the most experienced angler learns new tricks or pick up a few pointers.

As you have said, there is nothing more frustrating posting a post & you receive 1 or 2 responses while there is a Bucket full of knowledgeable, experienced members with loads of info & the member is left literally in the dark.

Lets continue to be positive about SL & its future, continue to do what we love best & support SL at al levels.
Thats why the forum needs a cleanup, there are so many old topics as stickies, old categories that can be removed etc. We have made these suggestions before, but apparently they can't happen because the super admin is too busy????

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 12:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Ben REINERS
Moderator


Joined: Tue Feb 16th, 2010
Location: MELMOTH - KZN, South Africa
Posts: 1679
Equipment: All sorts............
Best Catch: Giant Kingfish 35 Kg - 1996.09 @ Kosi Mouth ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Mostly KZN North Coast
Boat: Not yet !!
Club: Nope
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Pylstert wrote:
Ben REINERS wrote: Poenskop26 wrote:
I joined this forum a few months ago. The main reason why I joined the forum was to gain insight and knowledge on the art of angling. I want to learn everything I can from the old SALTERS, even at my age of 53. Sofar things for me are going well, as I am on the site every day since I joined. I research old posts absorbing the info and learning from it.

It is just painful when you post and you get 2 responses or even ziltch on your post and the forum has a membership of > 43000 members. Crazy.

I believe there are no stupid questions, there are only stupid answers.

Sealine for me ROCK's.


I can't agree more on yr comment.
When I joined SL, it was a "hot forum" where it was literally boiling with various discussion topics every day.
Many & most of the older members, including some Admin/Mods left, & or are just not active anymore.

As Pottie (Willem Wikkel Spies) & myself discussed the other day, as an example, many topics has been discussed over the years to the point that if you dont know how to make up a shad trace & catch a shad then you will never know.
Yes, there are million other new, updated topics, tricks, new gadgets, lures, experiences, tackle, catches to be discussed & shared with other members, & where even the most experienced angler learns new tricks or pick up a few pointers.

As you have said, there is nothing more frustrating posting a post & you receive 1 or 2 responses while there is a Bucket full of knowledgeable, experienced members with loads of info & the member is left literally in the dark.

Lets continue to be positive about SL & its future, continue to do what we love best & support SL at al levels.
Thats why the forum needs a cleanup, there are so many old topics as stickies, old categories that can be removed etc. We have made these suggestions before, but apparently they can't happen because the super admin is too busy????


I hear you....As you stated Super Admin is really tied up I believe, & I will discuss it with Pottie to see what could be done from the Super Admin's side.

Lets not loose hope.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 7th, 2020 04:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Dr halibut hoffman
Moderator


Joined: Wed Sep 16th, 2009
Location: Cape, South Africa
Posts: 2452
Equipment: Shimano, daiwa, a finnor and an elbe.. The rest died. ...
Best Catch: Shimano, daiwa, a finnor and an elbe.. The rest died. ...145cm FL Leervis released (Shore), 80kg+ yellowfin (Boat). 83cm Cracker. ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Kranse en diepsee!
Boat: 15' Skicraft cat.Canoe. Crew on Buttcats.
Club: Ike jime,no club
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
My Gallery: 
Fishing reports then..LOL there have been decent leeries, my count is over ten already of decent ones from the rocks on plug biggest about 8kg, not in the numbers we used to see but the fish have returned in mixed shoals of 2-8 kg fish with some jumbos in between..I hooked one that I thought was a tuna that took 150m of line in seconds with his propeller kicking up a huge wash..after quite a fish the seals chased him and I got reefed on my 20lb rig. Katonkel were wild at one stage with old timers saying that it was the most anchovie and the most katonkel they could ever remember seeing.. Bronzies were wild, there'd be three 100kg fish half covered by water chasing katonkel chasing anchovies in the rock pools.. Bronzies jumping like marlin all over the show, my mate took a SUP out to catch bonnies and had a johnnie and 2 bronzies buzz him the whole time..Madness fish got taxed, I had one katonkel turn into a tuna when a bronzie spooked him and eventually river rods and ice rods were getting pulled out to have real sport..a few skippies came out in the madness, I got one of just over 4kg. The waters got so stale and warn at one stage with so much bait the blacktips pitched up and I had a follow that was ilke a boatwake LOL. Grunters too been decent, I released one of over 4kg. There have been some cob, a few jumbos too some kept unfortunately and some carefully released, I got a nice one that got released into my vacuum packer. Nice shad, not many jumbos but decent numbers of mediums. Shoal size yellowfin have made appearances behind the trawlers. I saw a NZ sized fish boil up on my plug one day, 60lb plus, the boil was like a big tunny leaves. Ja bring on the rest of summer fun times! I've hardly had time to throw a bait so far except in the rivers but fishing has been decent.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply


Current time is 08:44 pm Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community > Non-Angling Discussion Area > Lounge > Getting Sealine back on track Top