SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community Home 


 Moderated by: Enigma, Emperor  
AuthorPost
will101
Senior Member


Joined: Thu Apr 19th, 2007
Location: Houtbaai
Posts: 1444
Equipment: PENN
Best Catch: Viskoors
Favorite Fishing Spot: Cape Point
Boat: Kei 22 + ARK Seal 15hp
Club: SEALINE
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Hi all, who has any knowledge / experience with poisoning as a result of eating yellowtail, or any other species such as mackerel that are known to "trek gif" as the old folk used to say?

I have now heard 2 accounts in recent days. In one case the person caught the fish himself at Cape Point (in the 70's) and aupon eating it immediately realised something was wrong - as he describes: "As I bit into it, it literally POPPED in my mouth" almost like the meat exploded. He was sick within a minute, almost similar to eating shrooms.

The other person had a severe drop in bloodpressure and took himself to hospital where he actually witnessed his own heart "stop". He was very ill for 3 days. The doctors reckoned it was an allergic reaction to the fish. (also yellowtail)

They both say they will never eat 'tail again. Personally I LOVE the stuff so that's scary.

any thoughts?

ThefishinMagician
Sealiner


Joined: Tue Oct 10th, 2006
Location: S-west, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 3724
Equipment: Die en Daai
Best Catch: they're all good!
Favorite Fishing Spot: where the fish are
Boat: 3.6m Rubber duck
Club: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Sounds like Histamine poisoning... same thing you get from tuna.

There was a thread here a while back regarding the subject. End of the day.. keep your fish cold at all times to prevent the "poison" from forming.