Who is to blame?

Who is to blame?

When I was old enough to join my dad and his fishing mates there were rules.

1. A man keeps his mouth shut. (What happens at the water stays at the water)
2. Never share a good fishing spot unless it is to a trustworthy mate.
3. Fishing secrets is not called secrets for nothing!
4. Never tell Mom, or your wife of one day, the real price of your new fishing gear. NEVER!!

Dad and the mates never bought bait. Bait must be fresh! One must collect your own bait. Firstly, they will decide which specie/s they target, then bait collection starts.
Soon did I realize the real reason why youngsters could join is that senior men needed livies!! Our main task was to make sure that there is a good supply of pinkies, strepies, harders & kollies. A rockpool will be identified as a live well. And if you wondered, yes, we had to collect our own bait from the rocks to catch the livies! 😊
It was awesome to see how they catch leeries, kingfish, kob and yes moerse elwe with our supplied livies!! Many times, one of the men will start a fire and the first few elwe will be our breakfast!
Fresh elf, bread and butter is food fit for a king!!

One thing is for sure, fish stocks have declined drastically.

The onslaught is brutal!! Trawlers, boat, kayak, spear, bow, kite, drone, spinning, netting, natural predators, “all” shore anglers, influencers, fishing guides, you tube, social media, latest equipment and poachers ETC!!!

Fishing is big business! Not just the selling of fish, but the selling of fishing equipment!! Manufacturers are ruthless as long as they can sell!! Lately they make use of influencers. These guys will tell you constantly how good the equipment is that they represent or let me rather say, they are forced to promote even if they know they sell shit!! (I am back on the blue tolletjie cotton!!) (((do you know you pay for the influencers’ free rods, reels, line, hooks and BAIT 😊)))

You Tube: The thing that really gets me, is the videos anglers make. EG. How to catch a steenbras. At the end of the vid they tell you how depleted the stocks are. Then a plea for catch & release! We all know that the anglers who actually care are way fewer than the “wat byt moet uit” brigade! Why do you make such videos if you know their numbers are depleted?

We use 4x4’s, boats, drones, satellites, gps, newest rods, reels, lines, hooks, influencers, fishing guides and You Tube! 😊

Do fish stand a chance? At least they have during big swells, strong winds & rain!!

May you please think twice before you kill your next fish? Imagine a sad world with no fish. All you will have is pics of your last undersized fish.

How will you explain to your grandkids you suffered from SPS?!!

Ben REINERS

Sealiner
Staff member
hunter1924 wrote:
Who is to blame?

When I was old enough to join my dad and his fishing mates there were rules.

1. A man keeps his mouth shut. (What happens at the water stays at the water)
2. Never share a good fishing spot unless it is to a trustworthy mate.
3. Fishing secrets is not called secrets for nothing!
4. Never tell Mom, or your wife of one day, the real price of your new fishing gear. NEVER!!

Dad and the mates never bought bait. Bait must be fresh! One must collect your own bait. Firstly, they will decide which specie/s they target, then bait collection starts.
Soon did I realize the real reason why youngsters could join is that senior men needed livies!! Our main task was to make sure that there is a good supply of pinkies, strepies, harders & kollies. A rockpool will be identified as a live well. And if you wondered, yes, we had to collect our own bait from the rocks to catch the livies! 😊
It was awesome to see how they catch leeries, kingfish, kob and yes moerse elwe with our supplied livies!! Many times, one of the men will start a fire and the first few elwe will be our breakfast!
Fresh elf, bread and butter is food fit for a king!!

One thing is for sure, fish stocks have declined drastically.

The onslaught is brutal!! Trawlers, boat, kayak, spear, bow, kite, drone, spinning, netting, natural predators, “all” shore anglers, influencers, fishing guides, you tube, social media, latest equipment and poachers ETC!!!

Fishing is big business! Not just the selling of fish, but the selling of fishing equipment!! Manufacturers are ruthless as long as they can sell!! Lately they make use of influencers. These guys will tell you constantly how good the equipment is that they represent or let me rather say, they are forced to promote even if they know they sell sh!t!! (I am back on the blue tolletjie cotton!!) (((do you know you pay for the influencers’ free rods, reels, line, hooks and BAIT 😊)))

You Tube: The thing that really gets me, is the videos anglers make. EG. How to catch a steenbras. At the end of the vid they tell you how depleted the stocks are. Then a plea for catch & release! We all know that the anglers who actually care are way fewer than the “wat byt moet uit” brigade! Why do you make such videos if you know their numbers are depleted?

We use 4x4’s, boats, drones, satellites, gps, newest rods, reels, lines, hooks, influencers, fishing guides and You Tube! 😊

Do fish stand a chance? At least they have during big swells, strong winds & rain!!

May you please think twice before you kill your next fish? Imagine a sad world with no fish. All you will have is pics of your last undersized fish.
How will you explain to your grandkids you suffered from SPS?!!
True words spoken.
I grew up in the era where taking a few for the house was not regarded as wrong, & was as guilty back then.
Abiding by rules is key if we want our next generations to see & enjoy what we did, but sadly lots of our fisher-folk are so divided ito what they know, what they understand, what the want to know, or want to understand.
Once they at the sea-side with rod in hand, all rules & ethics fly out the window.

HappyPeople

Couldnt agree more.

Try talk to some of the oaks about what they are doing though by posting same day pics with exact location and details, see how far you get lol
:fbash

Blikkiesvis

Sealiner
Great Post!

Never ever take the advice, or believe the opinion of someone that is sponsored! He will always punt his brand no matter what, even if it is shite... The moment you accept something for free from someone you can not give a objective opinion because you feel obliged to promote your sponsor.

However without the sponsors and their influencers we would not have any fishing shows. We need them and you must maar make your own opinion as to what is what. The rule of thumb is to stick to the top brands and you should be fine.

As to fish stocks... WE are to blame! And only WE can fix it.