Blue Water Charters - Fishing Reports from Fat Girl and Nawty Girl

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Fathers and Sons Fishing.
Offshore Fishing Report – 25 June 2019
We had 2 families on the boat for a short morning charter. Water is very cold and under 20deg.C and we had a screaming reverse current. The cold water is a good sign for those awaiting the arrival of the sardines as usually when it drops under 20deg.C it means they are on their way.
We struggled to get our baits down in the screaming current and we only got one drop on the mark and had to continuously reposition after every drop to stay on point. We managed to get about 20 nice bottom fish that we could keep including a few Slinger but mostly Soldiers were feeding, we got a few nice sized ones and many undersize fish which we put back and to make sure they survived we brought them up slowly so they would go back down and not float. We also managed 1 Bonnie on the troll. A frustrating day indeed, especially after so many great trips in the past 6 weeks.
Fishing trips for Fathers and Sons are great for bonding and connecting.

www.bluewatercharters.co.za

Attachments

• 20190625.jpg
    20190625.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 258

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Family Fishing Trip.
Offshore Fishing Report – 30 June 2019
We had 3 families on Fat Girl for a short morning charter. Conditions were stunning with light winds, flat seas and a slow current. No Bonnies or Tuna around yet, guess they are hanging around the sardines at the moment. Bottom fishing was great with a lot of fish caught by some very enthusiastic young men. A wide variety of species too, Slinger, Soldiers, Englishmen, Bronze Bream, Stumpy, Black Tail, Sea Barbel and even some Mackerel. We also got a large Toby that puffed up the size of a soccer ball and a very large Lion Fish which was an extremely interesting catch. Loads of fun with fathers and sons having a blast. The sons definitely out fished the dads on this trip.

Attachments

• 20190630.jpg
    20190630.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 238

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
A Good King Fish.
Offshore Fishing Report – 6 August 2019
Winter Fishing has been carrying on and we have done a fair amount of kiddies trips too. Over the weekend I saw the first Yellow Billed Kite and so we are expecting the Tuna to appear soon and before long we will be back into Game Fish season. Water was very cold averaging at 19.3 deg.C and we had some good catches of Bonito and Sarda Sarda, bottom fishing was tough with a very strong S-N current. This was a trip to remember as about 2 hours into our trip we hooked up into a very nice size King Fish on tight tackle which gave a TLD 15 a good run for its money and the line a really good stretch. This is not a fish we often catch here and so a really memorable catch.

Attachments

• 20190806_070948.jpg
    20190806_070948.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 199

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
A Very Good Tuna off Durban for Fat Girl.
Offshore Fishing Report – 1 October 2019
Officially the start of Game Fishing Season and off we went with a strong SW wind and a screaming S-N current with water still cold averaging 20.5 deg.C. Within the 1st 30 minutes we had 3 reels screaming with some very large Bonnies and we landed 2 of them, a few more Bonnies after that and before we could blink we were out deep off Salt Rock with that strong current and made the turn to head back, on the way back we found some smaller Yellowfin Tuna and then for the grand finale we landed a stunning 30Kg Yellowfin Tuna which gave a good account for itself.

Attachments

• 20191001.jpg
    20191001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 86

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
A Sailfish to commence the Season.
Offshore Fishing Report – 2 October 2019
The 2nd day into the Game Fishing season and we were still buzzing from the big Tuna the day before and things were quiet, we had picked up some Shad on the bullets (Yes out of season and they were put back) and also a few smaller Bonnies. There was a light rain and inshore was quiet so I sped up and headed out deeper, it was a short morning trip so time was against us. Once deep I tapped the throttles back a little and started working some previously productive areas and BANG the port corner went and I thought it was a small Striped Marlin as it took off, 30 minutes later we had a good sized Sailfish at the boat which we released and then made our way back into port. A really good start to the season and I hope it is a sign of good things to come. I have been expecting the Dorado to show up anytime along with some Black Marlin.

Attachments

• 20191002.jpg
    20191002.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 78

nantes

maybe you should have boated that sail . looks if its eye is badly damage . nothing wrong with eating them . and dorado is already here . had a shoal around a boat 3 weeks ago but would not eat

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
nantes wrote:
maybe you should have boated that sail . looks if its eye is badly damage . nothing wrong with eating them . and dorado is already here . had a shoal around a boat 3 weeks ago but would not eat

No problem with eating a Sail, the damage was below the eye and the fish swam off strong. I know Dorado are about but have not hooked one up myself, soon they will be a regular catch

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Dorado Account Opened.
Offshore Fishing Report – 16 October 2019
Better late than never, we finally opened our Dorado (Mahi) account for the season today, water is still cold and under 20deg.C. We had some Bonnie action on our way out and then we had 2 missed strikes, 1 on a Rapala and another on a Bullet and then finally we had a small female Dorado stick to the hook, I can see they not hitting hard as yet and the strikes are soft and gentle, but they are around and I will have a taste of some Dorado for dinner tonight, it’s been a while.

Attachments

• 20191016-1.jpg
    20191016-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 36