prawn pumping in cape town

sneaky ninja

hey guys am new to fishing.

would like to now were would be the best place to pump prawns in the cape town and peninsula area.

and how best to do it and store them with out them dieing.

marinello599

best place to pump-sunrise beach on spring low tide-full moon using a prawn pump preferably a stainless steel one (PVC)is sh!t.preserving them in cardboard box with damp newspaper layed in it + some seaweed,freeze them in saltwater,thanks WAYNE.happy hunting

Renier Theron

Where is sunrise beach man.. been to Milnerton lagoon ( cause its close ) only small ones not worth mentioning & it's hard work - they hava always worked wonders for me ,  but the lagoons where they flourish are so far away - & they dont live longer than 2 days without regular fresh water...?

Walt

Sealiner
Renier Theron wrote:
Where is sunrise beach man.. 
Sunrise Beach is at Muizenburg circle on Prince George drive.At circle,if you turn left you can go to Strandfontein,but instead go 180 degrees around circle,and turn off to beach.On Sundays,this is where they house flea markets,and you definitely cannot miss it.Having said that,I got some nice 'sizer' prawns & bloodworm yesterday morning at Muizenburg beach in front of beach cabins for hire,where bathers swim in summer.So,you will get prawns all the way from Muizenburg surfer's corner downwards.Cheers!

sakkie7116

Guys get yourselfs a float net. I pump my prawns in waste deep water. Only problem is you have to be two. I pump deep with my pump and that is where you will get the big ones.( Hell that does not sound right) lol

marinello599

????????????????????????:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta:rasta

Trophy

Sealiner
Walt wrote:
Renier Theron wrote:
Sunrise Beach is at Muizenburg circle on Prince George drive.At circle,if you turn left you can go to Strandfontein,but instead go 180 degrees around circle,and turn off to beach.On Sundays,this is where they house flea markets,and you definitely cannot miss it.Having said that,I got some nice 'sizer' prawns & bloodworm yesterday morning at Muizenburg beach in front of beach cabins for hire,where bathers swim in summer.So,you will get prawns all the way from Muizenburg surfer's corner downwards.Cheers!

Hiya Walt,

Don't forget the white muscle beds along that same beach section!

The white muscle is a great and very underated bait and can be used to catch all eds.

Walt

Sealiner
sakkie7116 wrote:
Only problem is you have to be two.
Agree fully,as yesterday morning,I lost probably as much as I ended up getting owing to Prawns & Worm catching a wave at Surfers corner,each time a wave came through.Even these specimens know the art of surfing.So easy to lose them with pump in your hand and tube getting bashed about.So,i'd much prefer pumping with someone else(Also sounds wrong,lol,but I am a respectfully married man.) 

sakkie7116

Walt wrote:
sakkie7116 wrote:
Only problem is you have to be two.
Agree fully,as yesterday morning,I lost probably as much as I ended up getting owing to Prawns & Worm catching a wave at Surfers corner,each time a wave came through.Even these specimens know the art of surfing.So easy to lose them with pump in your hand and tube getting bashed about.So,i'd much prefer pumping with someone else(Also sounds wrong,lol,but I am a respectfully married man.) 
:spite:spite

Walt

Sealiner
Trophy wrote:
Walt wrote:
Renier Theron wrote:

Hiya Walt,

Don't forget the white muscle beds along that same beach section!

The white muscle is a great and very underated bait and can be used to catch all eds.
Hi Trophy!You PE guys are rocking.Looks like we could do with some lessons from you and Neil in the finer arts of catching fish.But hey,where's Neil's smile gone in the supposedly friendly city,where even the Raggies are friendly,hehehe?Those Mussels you referred to-Went down to dig some about 10 days ago,and bumped into some regulars who know the turf there,and asked them why I couldn't dig any out.They told me the mussels had disappeared.These guys are part and parcel of the beach arena,as well as treknetting and know their apples,or mussels in this case.So,don't know what to make of this,because as you referred to mussels,they used to be plentiful,and best part of all fresh as opposed to shop,where you can't be guaranteed freshness or quality.I eventually had to buy some mussel today to complement some worm & prawn i do have.Milnerton used to be a good spot as well for Mussel,but probably also been dug out. Cheers!

Walt

Sealiner
sakkie7116 wrote:
Doping on some heavy duty meds. Will be fishing this weekend.
Even if i walk around like a hunchback.Lol.
I had same problem with back about 10 days ago,and first thing came to mind is,hey how am i going to fish like this?Not the garden,or work around house,etc,but fishing worries,hehehe!I'm not sure if it was when I met you and we fished,but I wore a belt(+/- 20 cm wide) under my wetsuit for about a day,and after airing it,slept with it at night.Next morning A for Away-All set to hit the beach where the sea beats against the shore with new back and bounce in the step again.Bought this belt at Glomail or similar and stops sudden movements and keeps the 'hinges' or discs in place.Plus this time of the year, if you suffer with regular back pain,arthritis sets in owing to cold wet,conditions.Belt keeps back warm preventing temp drop hitting spinal area.Hey,this back of mine would pass practically for Windguru as back would play up when cold front or rain is on way.I call  it my built in meteriologist.  

Renier Theron

Yeah.. after 200 pumps with 8 very small prawns to show (enough to fill the hook once ) i released the buggers to grow some more & went of for a well deserved lunch..